Our Journey together

This is where we are going to meet together online as a community and walk through the Bible together. We hope that you use this as a chance to grow, ask questions, and wrestle through texts that sometimes we just read past without looking into what they mean to our lives right now, today.

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Week 33 - September 4 - Robynn Watts

Exodus 15 and 16

As I start reading chapter 15, I'm trying to place myself in this Israelite community. What I had just seen, what I had just experienced. God showed Himself to be my rescuer, my deliverer, my safety, my power, my strength.... and now.... I'm free! Moses and Miriam lead the Israelites in a huge party to celebrate God's deliverance. I know that Jewish celebrations are always huge and happy... so I'm guessing this is no different. I'm sure all of their hearts were bursting with thankfulness and joy, having seen God work in the way He did with them. How could they ever forget that?

Well, like us, it sure didn't take long! Within the same chapter the people already start wondering how God is going to provide for them. They are thirsty... for three days they don't have any water. The people start questioning...

And then, right away in chapter 16 (I'm guessing the Israelites thought it best at least to wait a chapter before they REALLY started complaining! :-) we have full-blown grumbling. Everyone started complaining and of all things, wanted to go back to their chains in Egypt! God is suddenly not the same God He was days ago when He drown an entire army! Now, according to the Israelites, He is not able to provide them with their basic needs. And the story just gets worse... even with provision, some Israelites still can't seem to obey God in how they are to gather their food.

And thousands of years later, am I any different? God will show Himself mighty and powerful in my life and moments later I can easily complain about something else. I find it interesting that God does not provide for the Israelites to merely satisfy their physical hunger. In chapter 16 verse 12, God speaks to Moses saying, "I have heard the grumbling of the Israelites. Tell them, 'At twilight you will eat meat, and in the morning you will be filled with bread. (here it is...) then you will know that I am the LORD your God.'" God didn't say... then you won't be hungry. Or, then I can stop listening to your constant complaining.... the reason He provided for His people is so that they would know that He is their God. And if God's people know that He is God... then others around them will also see that He is God.


Psalm 33

Sometimes I need some encouragement after I hear of something else gone awry in this crazy world of ours. I have to remember to bring out Psalm 33! We are reminded that God is the Great Creator, He is control of all... nothing happens that escapes His watchful eye. I love verse 4 and think it sums up the psalm quite nicely... "For the word of the LORD is right and true; he is faithful in all he does." Great memory verse for those so inclined!


Ecclesiastes 2

The word "ecclesiastes" means "the teacher" or "the preacher". Solomon certainly qualifies as this! Even though he was one of the wisest men, he still had to learn through the "school of hard knocks". In this chapter Solomon contemplates all the things he did in his human strength here on Earth. All these, he says... are worthless done without God. He knew a lot, had a lot, achieved a lot... yet, his life was still empty, because all this he must leave on earth. Soloman rests in the fact that without God.. all our work is meaningless. True for Solomon... true for us too. Verse 26... "To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand it over to the one who pleases God." Which one do you want to be? I find that one pretty easy to answer... harder to obey!


Acts 12

Only God... that's about all I can say! Only God could orchestrate Peter's escape the way He did. Four squads of four soldiers each, two soldiers, one on each side of him, chains around his wrists and sentries standing guard at the entrance. Chains falling to the ground...Peter walking straight out of prison... with no one seeing him. Only God!! There is no way Peter could mistake Who set him free... and how many lost children did God bring to Himself through this miracle?

I recently read a book by a Chinese Brother. He experienced an escape from prison very similar to Peter's. Not only was he in prison (this being the last of several imprisonments), but the interrogators in the prison had smashed his legs so badly he could not walk. He had to be carried everywhere. At the moment of his escape... he up and walked on his legs, somewhere along the walk out God healed his legs completely (he does not remember the moment this happened) and he walked straight out of that prison past many many guards all whom were "blinded" and did not see him. Out the front door of the prison he went and into a waiting taxi. Amazing... only God, only God!

If God can do these things... don't you think He can do the "impossible" in your life too?

No comments:

Post a Comment