Our Journey together

This is where we are going to meet together online as a community and walk through the Bible together. We hope that you use this as a chance to grow, ask questions, and wrestle through texts that sometimes we just read past without looking into what they mean to our lives right now, today.

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Week 3 - February 8 - Doug Weincouff

My highlights from the readings:

Genesis chapter 5 - I was struck by Enoch's life. Can you see the difference between Enoch and all of his family members. What do you think that means?

Psalms 3 – What would you write if one of your own children were trying to kill you? How horrible...

John 3 – I am continually amazed at how I understand so little of God’s ways and his plans. But I am also encouraged because God does not give up on us as we search to know him and follow him.

Proverbs 3 - This is one of my favorite proverbs. I have memorized parts of proverbs 3 because I find myself in a constant battle between my own ideas, skills and efforts and God’s ways.

Trust in the LORD with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will direct your paths. Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the LORD and turn your back on evil. Then you will gain renewed health and vitality.
Proverbs 3:5-7

These verses challenge me to look at how I live - they call me to do a personal inventory of my goals, dreams and desires. Too often I wish God would get with my plans instead of me getting with his.

I love this proverb because of the promises God makes to us.

- If I live out love and faithfulness others will respect me.
- If I trust God he will make my path straight.
- If I honor God with my wealth he will provide for me.

I have to continually remind myself that God’s ways are meant for my best. When I surrender my life and submit my plans to him, God takes me to a place that is better.

2 comments:

  1. If you want to hear God laugh, just tell him YOUR PLAN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Genesis 4:4, I did not understand why God does not look with favor on Cain's offering.

    In Genensis 5, my initial reaction was no one can live these many years, so how am I to believe this passage when it sounds so fantastical?

    ReplyDelete