Our Journey together

This is where we are going to meet together online as a community and walk through the Bible together. We hope that you use this as a chance to grow, ask questions, and wrestle through texts that sometimes we just read past without looking into what they mean to our lives right now, today.

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

June 7 - Week 19 - Doug Wiencouff

Genesis 39
I have often wondered about the story of Joseph and Potiphar’s wife. It is a story about character and yet the person who shows character is the one that gets punished. Joseph did all the right things. He stayed away from her. He told her that it would be a sin and a betrayal to her husband. I’ve wondered if there was anything he could have done that would have prevented the outcome except giving in to Potiphar’s wife. Sometimes we can do all the right things and still have problems or bad consequences. They are not the result of our sin. It can be the result of other peoples choices. What matters most is the attitude we have when things go wrong. I am amazed that after Joseph is tossed in prison he keeps a good attitude and even wins over the prison warden. It makes me ask the question, “What is my attitude when things go wrong?” Do I honor God and hang on to my faith or do I give up?

Genesis 40
Joseph interpreting the dreams of the baker and cupbearer is a continuation in the picture of Joseph’s character and faith. As he interprets the dreams he is truthful. He gave truthful good news to the cupbearer and he gave truthful bad news to the baker. I think it would have been very tempting to not tell the baker the bad news and just let the three days pass or to tell him a lie.

I tend to not like confrontation. I don’t like giving bad news. I want everyone to be happy. It means I can be tempted to not have hard conversations to keep peace or to keep people happy. This story reminds me that I have to speak truth even when the person receiving it will not like it or will respond badly to it. Do you tend to avoid tough conversations or do you wisely go into them praying and hoping for the best?

Psalm 20
This psalm is a prayer of David on behalf of another person. As you read this psalm picture a person in your life that would benefit from you praying like this for them. Take some time each day this week to pray for that person.

Proverbs 20
This proverb focuses on character. More importantly it focuses on the lack of character and how God despises it. Consider prayerfully your own character. Are you able to choose the right thing even when it is the harder thing? Ask God to help you become a person with the character of Jesus. Extra Credit: Ask two people this week to evaluate your character. Is it a work in progress or are you taking short cuts hoping no one will notice?

John 20
The resurrection of Jesus is the greatest miracle of God. When I try to put myself in the shoes of either Mary or Peter or any of the disciples I am overwhelmed. It is easy for us to put all the pieces together from Jesus’ teaching to expect the resurrection as the obvious next step after his death. For the disciples it was way to much to expect for them to understand it. They don’t get to see the whole picture. They only had pieces of the puzzle. I think that is how most of us live our faith walk with God. We have pieces of the puzzle but can’t see the whole picture. Events occur in our lives and we don’t see what God is doing until time has passed and sometimes we don’t even see it then. It sure makes me feel better that the disciples had to grow in their faith and understanding just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment