Our Journey together

This is where we are going to meet together online as a community and walk through the Bible together. We hope that you use this as a chance to grow, ask questions, and wrestle through texts that sometimes we just read past without looking into what they mean to our lives right now, today.

Monday, November 2, 2009

Week 41 - November 1 - Doug Weincouff

Exodus 31


This chapter is broken into two separate topics. The first is God’s instructions to Moses regarding the creation of the Tent of Meetings, the Ark of the Covenant and all the furniture and garments for the priests. Two thoughts strike me about this passage. The first is about how detailed God’s planning was. God identifies the people for Moses’ that he has gifted to create the items. He has also given the artist all the materials from the Egyptians to create the items. It reminds me that God is a God of organization and structure. When it comes to God, events are not random but intentional. It is seen in this chapter and all over the Bible. God has given us instructions for life. The challenge is our willingness and unwillingness to live life God’s way. It makes me ask how am I doing at following God’s instructions?

The second half of the chapter focus’s on the Sabbath. Keeping the Sabbath has always been a puzzle to me. Most of us have reduced it to a couple of hours at church on Sunday. When I was growing up my family would once a year go visit my mother’s family in Alabama. Let me say the South is another country. I noticed that on Sunday’s all the stores were closed. In Chicago where we lived the stores were open. My Dad explained that they had “Blue Laws”. Blue Laws were designed to enforce religious life, in this case keeping the Sabbath. Over the last 40 years the south has become more sophisticated. The Blue Laws were deemed unconstitutional and now you can shop till you drop on Sundays even south of the Mason Dixie Line. What does it mean to keep the Sabbath? Does it require an entire day? How do you personally put aside a time of rest and reflection for God?

Exodus 32

Chapter 32 reminds us how quickly what God has given us for good we can turn to evil. Without spiritual leadership the people decide to create their own altar and idol to worship. The same skills intended to create the Tent of Meeting and all the items for the priests are used to create a golden Calf. The same gold and silver from Egypt are used to make the idol.

What strikes me is how quickly the spiritual temperature of the nation of Israel turned. It is a warning for me to not let too much time go by without reading my Bible or spending time with other believers. I need to stay focused on my relationship with God because I can easily become distracted. I can start to follow my own plans. Are you using the talents and resources God has given you for his plans or your own?

Psalm 41

It was written by David during a time when life was not going well. He was seriously ill. He believed it was a result of sin in his life. He felt like all his friends had turned on him. In some ways David was throwing a pity party. The encouraging aspect of this Psalm is that David turns to God for mercy and help. It reminds me that when life is not going the way I want it to go I need to refocus on God. Is there anything in my life I need to address so that I am doing life God’s way.

Ecclesiastes 10

Ecclesiastes 10 is a chapter of sayings that hold one common theme: be wise! As I read the chapter I can’t help but have a picture of 16 or 17 year old guys learning things the hard way. Having been one, I can say with confidence that often during the teen years guys come up with what they think great ideas or plans that in theory are awesome and in practice not so good. I can remember when some of my friends and I thought having a Roman Candle fireworks battle was a good idea. I wish someone older and wiser would have been around to stop that idea. We almost burnt a house down. This chapter reminds us to think first before acting or speaking. In both of these areas I need to continue to grow. How about you?

Acts 20

In Acts 20 we find Paul planning his return to Jerusalem. He knew that life was about to get harder. God had given him the insight that prison and suffering awaited him. Even knowing this he goes forward with his plans. It is reminiscent of Jesus talking to the disciples the night before his crucifixion. He wants the very best for them. He warns them that there will be challenges ahead and people that want to destroy the church. Being faithful and following through with God’s plans is the most important value of Paul’s life. I hope that at the end of my life I will be able to look back and see that I have kept the faith and run the race God had set before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment