Our Journey together

This is where we are going to meet together online as a community and walk through the Bible together. We hope that you use this as a chance to grow, ask questions, and wrestle through texts that sometimes we just read past without looking into what they mean to our lives right now, today.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

April 26 - Week 13 - Robyn Watts

Genesis 27-28

Oh, Rebekah.... have you ever watched a movie in which you feel dread for the main character as they make choices you know are not going to turn out well? Even though Isaac's blessing **somehow** had to land on Jacob, I just cringe at the way that all transpired. I think I cringe mostly because Rebekah and Jacob were so manipulative and took advantage of the fact Isaac could not see well. How many times have I manipulated situations to my benefit?

Isaac should have trusted his intuition when at first he questioned whether it was really Esau (vs 22). I find myself in Isaac's position once in a while too. When Esau does finally come in with his father's stew, I have so much compassion for Isaac. In verse 33 the Bible says, "Isaac trembled violently..." As the reality settles in and Isaac realizes he had been duped, I can't imagine how he felt not having any blessing left for his favored son. (okay, well that was a problem too... the favor part... for both Isaac and Rebekah!)

Jacob is usually crowned as the "hero" in this story, but I do feel sorry for Esau. Yes, he was foolish to give up his birthright in the first place, but I'm guilty of not looking beyond the nose on the front of my face too. I can't understand the longing for stew, but if it was chocolate....

I love how at the end of chapter 28, God restates the promise he made with Abraham and Isaac. God's whole "agenda" is to spread His people throughout the earth so that all people can be blessed through them. The blessings, the descendants, the land... all would be given to them so that they would become a blessing to the world... showing others who God is. God promises in verse 15 of chapter 28,

"I am with you and will watch over you wherever you go, and I will bring you back to this land. I will not leave you until I have done what I have promised you."

Can you imagine being Jacob and receiving that promise from God. God has given us a promise too... in Philippians 1:6 we read,

"being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."

What work is God doing in you that you need to be confident that He will complete?

Psalm 14

"Oh, that the salvation for Israel would come out of Zion!" (vs.7) Thank you God, that it has! You have restored the fortune of your people let us rejoice and be glad!

Proverbs 14

Wow, anyone could spend a life time gleaning wisdom from this 35 verse proverb! Verse 33 really stood out to me. "Wisdom reposes in the heart of the discerning, and even among fools she lets herself be known." I love that God does not hide the Truth from those who refuse to accept it. Often times the Truth stares them right in the face, but they just refuse to see it. God's wisdom prevails over all and He will make sure that even among those who don't believe, the Truth will shine through.

John 14

There is so much in this chapter... it is one of those chapters where I can picture myself curled up on Jesus' lap with him reading it to me, arms around me....

In my Bible most of this entire page is "red" as Jesus was quite long winded here! But the words he says in this chapter have life long consequences for every person on earth. Jesus starts by giving us the prescription for a trouble-free heart.... "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." (vs.1)

Wow, that's it! Trust. So, why do our hearts seem to be troubled so much? I find it interesting that Thomas (who asked Jesus the first of three questions in this chapter) decided to camp on the fact that he didn't know where Jesus was going instead of learning more about the trust. Personally, I would have camped on how to trust better!

Later, after a question from Philip in verse 8, Jesus remarks, "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you for such a long time?"

I picture how it must have felt to be Philip hearing the Son of God say that to him. Sometimes I wonder what the disciples were thinking when they would ask certain things. Having the benefit of 2000 or so years we have some hindsight that makes what they asked seem ridiculous. However, if I'm really honest with myself, I'm guessing I would have asked some of the same questions. And, if I'm REALLY honest with myself... I find I do now. Really, all Jesus asks of us is to believe him. Trust in him. Love him. Obey him. We don't need to solve all the world's problems, just lead the world to Who already has....

The third question asked of Jesus came from Judas (not Judas Iscariot the Bible tells us). He asked Jesus in verse 22, "but Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the world?"

Oh, how small our vision can be sometimes! Jesus starts his explanation of the Holy Spirit with the words, "If ANYONE" (vs. 23) Not just jews... anyone loves me.... He goes on to explain the Holy Spirit will come and the Father, Son and Holy Spirit will make their home with anyone who loves them. I love how Jesus used the word "home" and not "house". It feels so warm and inviting....

All this Jesus tells the disciples ahead of time for one reason... so they will believe (vs 29). That's what God wants most from us... our belief. Not just belief in Him, that He exists... actually believing the promises God gives us... that He is who He says He is and that He can do what He says He can do. Do we truly believe?

2 comments:

  1. The Esau and Jacob incident probably would not have happened if Isaac didn't play favorites. Growing up I always felt my parents had favorites and even now I feel they have favorite grandchildren and it is hard not to feel bad sometimes, it is probably just my imagination. I look at my two children and try not to show any favoritism but I know my kids also think there is something underlying. How can we be more like God who loves each of his children equally and show it that way? I love my children each in a unique way, they are such different individuals, too bad Isaac didn't do that.

    Psalms brings up a question for me, at the end of 13.5 "for God is present in the company of the righteous" Is God not present everywhere and always?

    I like Proverbs 23 - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty. The world needs to talk less and do more.

    I agree that I could imagine being a small child on Jesus' lap listening to him describe his Father's house and assuring us that he is coming back, so sincere, sensitive and loving. You have to trust his knowledge, have faith in his promises and look forward to his return. I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sue- great question: "Psalms brings up a question for me, at the end of 13.5 "for God is present in the company of the righteous" Is God not present everywhere and always?"

    I think the verse means that we are close to God - near his heart - when we choose righteousness (God honoring life).

    But you are correct that God is everywhere (omnipresent). We as humans tend to think in a single dimension or place because our experience is one place at a time.

    So we sometimes pray that way. "God we ask that you be here with us tonight" is literally a silly prayer, because of course, God is always with us.

    Yet, when we pray that, we don't mean it literally. We are really praying "God especially be with us and change us and make us aware of You". At least that's what I mean when I pray like that. (Which by the way I try not to... I usually try to recognize God's presence rather than to ask for it... when I forget God is really in the room with me is when I make my greatest sin blunders.)

    ReplyDelete